What are bad sectors?
It is frustrating when you detect bad sectors on your hard drive. Bad sectors are small chunks of data that you cannot access. We know that hard disk stores information in the form of sectors, the standard sector size is 512 bytes.
There are two kinds of bad sectors – hard and soft.
Hard bad sectors are a result of physical damage to your hard disk. It can occur when your hard disk is exposed to extreme heat, it falls when data is being written or a mechanical part allows the head to come in contact with the disk surface. Hard bad sectors cannot be repaired.
Soft bad sectors occur when the error correction code (ecc) that is found in the sector does not match the content of the sector. Any interruptions during the read-write operations on your hard drive can also cause bad sectors. The soft bad sectors can be repaired by overwriting entire disk with zeros.
How to prevent bad sectors?
Prevention is better than cure. This saying cannot be truer than in the case of bad sectors on your hard drive. Here’s how you can prevent such errors:
- Always ensure that your computer is dust-free.
- Buy only top quality hardware.
- Shut down your computer properly. You can have an Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) connection if there are frequent power cuts.
- Make use of good defragmenter programs. These programs reduce the wear and tear, thus preventing bad sectors.
- Keep your programs updated and always use good anti-virus software.
How to repair bad sectors?
Windows has an inbuilt check disk tool called “Chkdsk”. This tool scans the disk for errors, fixes logical errors, detects and marks all bad sectors.
- To run Chkdsk
- Go to Start Menu. Click on My Computer.
- Right-click on the hard disk you want to check for errors and click Properties.
- In Properties window, click on Tools.
- Click Check now.
- A new window pops up with two options: “Automatically fix file system errors” and “Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors”. Select both of them and click on Start.
- The Chkdsk tool performs a check on bad sectors, other errors and shows you a report.
- Using Remo Recover
Remo Recover software is well equipped in recovering data from hard drive with bad sector. The software creates a disk image of the hard drive bypassing the bad sectors. This image is later used to perform data recovery.
The software can also recover data from lost/deleted/formatted/re-formatted partitions. Remo Recover is also a good ssd data recovery software for mac.
With an easy-user-interface, even a novice user can use Remo Recover data recovery software to restore data on their hard drive.